*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of advice will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. You’ll also receive our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” newsletter. It’s the best content from around the industry on specific ways to apply the human side of advice in your practice, process, and conversations.
*The featured partner for this episode is a must-have tool for helping clients follow-through and implement advice. After all, the best advice is useless in the absence of execution. Rather than stressing about follow-up calls and emails, Knudge provides a built-in system designed to improve follow-through.
Here’s the best part…you can try it for free with 12 clients.
It’s one thing for advisors to say they want to get better at the human side.
It’s another thing to actually start making changes to your processes and conversations.
And, it’s another thing entirely to have your entire meeting process and deliverables focused on the human side.
Yet, that’s exactly what Jake Northrup did.
At his firm, Experience Your Wealth, here is their 5-step meeting flow for clients:
1) Create Your Inspiring Money Vision
2) Organize Your Financial Life
3) Present Initial Recommendations
4) Prioritize And Implement Action Items
5) Review Progress
And, in every single meeting, Jake has made a point to optimize the human element. From the questions they ask to the deliverables they provide, he’s thought of it all.
In this episode, Jake gives us an inside look into each meeting to reveal how he infuses the human side to help clients live their ideal life.
Things You’ll Learn
- Using “micro-steps” to improve client behavior
- The importance of “setting the stage” prior to Discovery meetings
- The process they use to help clients create their “Unique Money Vision”
- The meeting where he realized that the human element is becoming essential
- How to navigate life conversations when the person wants to talk about money
- The assessment he gives to prospects to help them increase financial self-awareness
- The psychological power of “spending experiments” to help clients live their best life
- The action item dashboard Jake uses to improve the gap between knowing and doing
- The “Life Planning Timeline” he creates to visualize and prioritize what’s most important
- His sailboat story to demonstrate the value and services of working with a financial planner
- How he adjusts his interactions with clients based on whether they are audible or visual learners
About Jake Northrup, CFP®, CFA, CSLP®
Jake is the founder of Experience Your Wealth, a virtual fee-only financial planning firm helping travel-loving young families find the right balance between paying down debt, investing for the future, but also experiencing life now. He is a Certified Financial Planner, Chartered Financial Analyst and Certified Student Loan Professional.
Jake has been named an Investopedia Top 100 Advisor, Investment News 40 Under 40, a top financial planner for millennials by Business Insider and a Young Advisor To Watch by Financial Advisor Magazine. He has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Bloomberg, CNBC and other publications.
More importantly, Jake lives in Bristol, RI with his high-maintenance wife Kaleigh and dog Albie (yes – both high maintenance!).
Other Episodes You’ll Like With Advisors Applying The Human Side
- Values-Based Financial Advice That Works In Real Life with Natalie Taylor
- Incorporating The Human Element Throughout The Planning Process with Hannah Moore
- A Framework To Facilitate Conversation and Connection Throughout the Planning Process with Josh Gilliam
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you take your relationships and your practice to the next level:
- Human Side of Advice Masterclass: Build a human-first planning process to convert prospects into life-long clients in 10 weeks
- The Ultimate Intro Meeting: Learn how to qualify and convert prospects in 30 minutes without being salesy
- HSOA Community: Exclusive content, courses and conversations to master the human side of advice with like-minded advisors
If you want more information on any of these, let me know here.