*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. In addition to podcast releases, you’ll get our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on applying behavioral finance and mastering the human side of money.
*The featured partner for this episode is a must-have tool for helping clients follow-through and implement advice. After all, the best advice is useless in the absence of execution. Rather than stressing about follow-up calls and emails, Knudge provides a built-in system designed to improve follow-through. Here’s the best part…you can try it for free with 12 clients.
Think back to a time when you were “in the zone.”
A time when you were completely immersed and focused on what you were doing.
A time when your mind wasn’t wandering, your body feels good, and you’re less aware of all your thoughts and problems.
It’s a state of mind that athletes and creative artists describe when they’re operating at their peak.
That feeling is a mental state that psychologists refer to as “flow.”
Here’s one way it was described by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, the psychologist credited with popularizing the concept:
“…being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved and you’re using your skills to the utmost.”
A flow state elicits greater enjoyment, energy and involvement in what you’re doing.
So, imagine if you could learn how to apply it for yourself and your clients.
Fortunately, Jordan Hutchison has published his research on bringing flow into the realm of financial planning.
And, once you get it right, it leads to increased productivity, creativity, and overall well-being for both you and your clients.
Things You’ll Learn
- Why “practice and rehearse” was the best advice Jordan received early in his career
- What Jordan learned from working at a behavioral wealth management firm
- The “Life Priorities” exercise he says is still one of the best he’s seen
- The definition of “flow”
- How “flow” can be used for advisors and clients
- The all-encompassing benefits of flow for advisors and clients
- A story of how Jordan helped a retiree find flow and improve her life
- The keys to triggering a “flow state”
- Putting a “behavioral bow” on your meetings to end with a bang
About Dr. Jordan Hutchison
Dr. Jordan Hutchison is an industry expert and thought leader in the financial technology and financial planning profession. He is the Head of Product for Shaping Wealth, a financial well-being learning platform, and an adjunct instructor for Kaplan’s, College for Financial Planning. Jordan holds multiple industry certifications, a master’s in financial planning, and a doctorate in business administration, specifically in behavioral science and positive psychology. In his recent research, he studied Flow Theory and Work engagement of Financial Planners.
Other Episodes You’ll Like On Advisor Productivity:
- A Research-Based Method To Actually Achieve Work-Life Balance with Dr. Travis Parry
- Pursuing Limitless Growth By Focusing On Mindset Over Methods with Stephanie Bogan
- The Psychology of Referrals (Part II) with Dan Allison
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: An 8-week group program on building trust & connection, aligning money and life, and delivering frictionless advice.
- The Ultimate Discovery Meeting: A proven framework to seamlessly convert prospects into life-long clients in one meeting.
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): An online space to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you want more information on any of these, let me know here.