*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. In addition to podcast releases, you’ll get our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on applying behavioral finance and mastering the human side of money.
There have always been two primary factors that draw people into the profession of financial advice. The chance to help people with a crucial element of their lives and the ability to have autonomy over your time and schedule.
One of the ways that you “help” people is by developing and implementing the financial strategies that allow them to live the life they want to live with the peace of mind to know their finances are taken care of.
And, if you can do that while working 30-hour weeks, spending months at the beach and quality time at home with your family, then there’s no better job in the world.
The problem, as highlighted by a study from the Financial Planning Association, is that less than 50% of advisors say they feel in control of their time and their business. And nearly three-quarters report working more than 40 hours per week. The main culprit is trying to do “too much.”
And, by working so many hours, you’re draining yourself of the physical, mental, and emotional resources that are so crucial to mastering the human side of money. If you’re exhausted from working too many hours, how can you possibly listen to a client explain his or her struggles with money?
How can you listen and ask questions that build the level of trust that converts prospects into life-long clients if your mind is racing thinking about all the tasks still on your “To-Do” list?
And, equally important, how can you live a fulfilled life while being a great spouse and parent if your mind is drifting off to ensure that you’ve prepared everything you need to for tomorrow’s client review meeting?
As a former advisor and business owner who dealt with the challenges of time management when running a business, Travis Parry decided to go back and get his Ph.D. to help advisors and business owners conquer this challenge.
Using his research and others, he’s developed a method based on exposing the myths of time management that has allowed hundreds of advisors and business owners to actually achieve work/life balance to take your business and personal life to never-before-seen levels.
Things You’ll Learn
- The three myths of time management to help regain more time
- Why balance is an illusion and the definition of balance that Travis suggests instead
- The key distinction between goals and values and how to effectively uncover each
- How to prioritize your time according to goals and values using the Business Ideal Calendar
- Why priorities without appropriate boundaries can be dangerous
- What Travis’s research indicated was crucial for goal achievement and behavior change
- How work/life balance makes you more equipped to handle the human side of advice
- Why Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is outdated and what should actually be at the top of the pyramid
About Travis Parry, Ph.D.
After a successful career in financial advice, Travis earned several degrees in social science, including a Ph.D. in Family and Human Development to better understand the role motivation and relationships play in goal achievement. After obtaining his Ph.D., he founded the Make Time Institute and became an international best-selling author and speaker.
Most recently, he published a new book called Achieving Balance: The Make Time Method to Help Advisors Reach Business and Personal Goals in an Overworked World.
Other Episodes You’ll Liked Focused on Practice Management
- Episode 13: The Psychology of Referrals with Dan Allison
- Episode 28: The Human Side of Digital Marketing with Samantha Russell
- Episode 43: Pursuing Limitless Growth By Focusing On Mindset Over Methods with Stephanie Bogan
- Travis Parry Website
- Travis Parry LinkedIn
- Achieving Balance: The Make Time Method to Help Advisors Reach Business and Personal Goals in an Overworked World
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work And What To Do About It
- The Case For Marriage: Why Married People Are Happier, Healthier, and Better Financially
- E-Book on Couple Development by Travis Parry
- Man’s Search For Meaning by Victor E. Frankl
- Stephen Covey
- Urie Bronfenbrenner
- John Gottman
- Michael Kitces
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: An 8-week group program on building trust & connection, aligning money and life, and delivering frictionless advice.
- The Ultimate Discovery Meeting: A proven framework to seamlessly convert prospects into life-long clients in one meeting.
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): An online space to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you’re interested, let me know here.