*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. You’ll also receive our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” newsletter where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on specific ways to apply the human side of advice in your practice, process, and conversations.
*The featured partner for this episode is a must-have tool for helping clients follow-through and implement advice. After all, the best advice is useless in the absence of execution. Rather than stressing about follow-up calls and emails, Knudge provides a built-in system designed to improve follow-through. Here’s the best part…you can try it for free with 12 clients.
Asking great questions is a superpower for financial advisors.
A great question can have a far greater impact on your clients’ lives than any investment ever could.
A great question will change the growth trajectory of your business in a way that a networking event could only dream of.
To test just how effective questions can be, a group of researchers scrutinized thousands of conversations between people just getting to know each other.
They had one group of people focus on asking questions (at least 9 in 15 minutes) and asked another to avoid asking questions (no more than 4 in 15 minutes).
Not surprisingly, the researchers found that the group focused on asking questions were better liked and learned more about their partner’s interests.
In other words, asking questions does two things: establishes likability and trust while yielding valuable information.
But, here’s the thing…there are ways to ask questions that are more effective than others.
It’s not just about knowing which questions to ask.
It’s about the tone, sequence, and framing.
Fortunately, Warren Berger is a Questionologist and the world’s foremost authority on questions. He walks us through the art of asking great questions that get great answers from both clients and prospects.
Things You’ll Learn
- The most common barriers we face on the path to asking better questions
- How to ask better questions by emphasizing the right tone
- How to ask questions that get people to open up and answer with confidence
- The engine that drives good questioning
- What actors can teach us about cultivating curiosity (especially with long-time clients)
- Why the best approach to asking questions is between scripted and spontaneous (and how to do it)
- How prepping for conversations naturally creates curiosity
- The “AWE” Question to get someone to reveal even more information
- How to order and structure your questions for conversational flow
- The study on how questions can create intimacy and connection
- Examples of questions that we ask every day that don’t build any trust or gather information
- A litmus test to know whether you’re asking great questions
- How to use questions so clients believe your ideas are actually their ideas
About Warren Berger
Warren Berger is a Questionologist and the world’s foremost authority on the power of questions. He has studied hundreds of the world’s foremost innovators, entrepreneurs, and creative thinkers to learn how they ask questions, generate original ideas, and solve problems. He’s an international keynote speaker and the author or co-author of 12 books including The Book of Beautiful Questions and A More Beautiful Question. His writing and research appear in Fast Company, Harvard Business Review, Psychology Today, and many other popular publications.
Other Episodes You’ll Like On The Power of Questions:
- Leveraging The Superpower of Questions To Create Clarity and Connection with Meghaan Lurtz
- How To Guide Comfortable Conversations That Actually Inspire Change with Jeremy Keil
- Best Questions For Each Step of The Client Journey
The Book of Beautiful Questions by Warren Berger
A More Beautiful Question by Warren Berger
Thinking Fast And Slow by Daniel Kahneman
How Minds Change: The Surprising Science of Belief, Opinion, and Persuasion by David McRaney
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: An 8-week group program on building trust & connection, aligning money and life, and delivering frictionless advice.
- The Ultimate Discovery Meeting: A proven framework to seamlessly convert prospects into life-long clients in one meeting.
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): An online space to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you want more information on any of these, let me know here.