*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. In addition to podcast releases, you’ll get our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on applying behavioral finance and mastering the human side of money.
*The featured partner for this episode is a must-have tool for helping clients follow-through and implement advice. After all, the best advice is useless in the absence of execution. Rather than stressing about follow-up calls and emails, Knudge provides a built-in system designed to improve follow-through.
Every advisor has two puzzles to solve:
- What to do
- How to get the person to do it
One requires an intimate understanding of numbers.
The other requires an intimate understanding of people.
So, whether you’re trying to get the prospect to become a client or you’re trying to get the client to implement your advice…
One thing is certain.
The most technically-sound financial knowledge is useless if:
- You can’t get any prospects to become clients
- You can’t get clients to act on your advice
Two problems that no amount of technical knowledge will ever solve.
And, what we know from the fields of behavior and psychology is that pushing or persuading people to do something makes them less likely to do it.
The most effective way to change someone’s behavior is not to persuade them.
Rather, it’s to get people to persuade themselves.
In other words, trying to persuade a prospect to become a client by telling them all the ways you can help is the least effective way to get them to become a client.
You need them to believe and decide on their own that they should be a client.
At the same time, convincing a client to get their estate planning finished by listing all of the reasons why isn’t going to work.
You need them to understand why and how they’re going to get it done.
So, how do you get someone to do that?
A communication technique called “Motivational Interviewing.”
And, fortunately, Jeremy Keil is trained in motivational interviewing and applies it in conversations with prospects and clients every day to guide them through comfortable conversations that actually inspire change.
Things You’ll Learn
- Why Jeremy intentionally uses the phrases “working together” and “guiding you”
- Importance of acknowledging clients as experts in their own lives
- The crucial change he made in his connection meetings with prospects
- The 4 skills of Motivational Interviewing
- Using reflections and summaries to keep from feeling like an interrogation
- His intentional office design to foster comfortable conversations
- Empowering the client using affirmations
- The power of asking for permission before sharing advice
- Understanding “change talk” to assess whether someone is ready to change
- The “righting reflex” inherent in clients that prevents the ideal behavior
- Overcoming ambivalence – the #1 barrier to change
- Questions to use in review meetings with long-standing clients
About Jeremy Keil, CFP®, CFA, CIMA®
Jeremy Keil is the founder of Keil Financial Partners and the host of the Retirement Revealed podcast and blog.
His firm delivers top-notch financial advice to pre-retirees and retirees, but they also incorporate an effective communication technique called “Motivational Interviewing” into all of their client and prospect interactions.
Other Episodes You’ll Like On Enhancing Client Communication And Outcomes
- The Psychology of Communicating and Delivering Advice with Derek Tharp
- The Importance of Giving Advice That Sticks with Moira Somers
- A Masterclass In Excelling At The Human Side of Advice with Carl Richards
- How Financial Coaching Skills Enhance Communication, Connection, and Foll0w-Through with Saundra Davis
- The Financial Therapy Skills Every Financial Advisor Needs with Kristy Archuleta
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: An 8-week group program on building trust & connection, aligning money and life, and delivering frictionless advice.
- The Ultimate Discovery Meeting: A proven framework to seamlessly convert prospects into life-long clients in one meeting.
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): An online space to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you want more information on any of these, let me know here.