*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. You’ll also receive our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” newsletter where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on specific ways to apply the human side of advice in your practice, process, and conversations.
*The featured partner for this episode is a must-have tool for helping clients follow-through and implement advice. After all, the best advice is useless in the absence of execution. Rather than stressing about follow-up calls and emails, Knudge provides a built-in system designed to improve follow-through. Here’s the best part…you can try it for free with 12 clients.
When financial advisors meet with clients, it’s easy to focus solely on the numbers and neglect the feelings they elicit.
It’s easy to focus on dollars at the expense of emotions.
But, the reality is that every single client you work with has a relationship with money that extends beyond data, numbers and dollar signs.
It includes things like:
- Family Upbringing
- Life Experiences
- Goals and Values
It’s easy to overlook these things when talking about money.
But, it becomes evident when you’re dealing with the retiree who simply won’t spend their money despite having more than they could ever need.
Or the client who simply can’t follow your advice no matter how many times you’ve shown them exactly what to do.
Or the couple who can never seem to get on the same page with their finances after years and years of trying to help them.
Your clients need to know:
- What do do with their money
- How to navigate their emotions around it
They need help blending the financial and emotional components of money.
But most of the work on how to do this resides in the field of financial therapy.
Fortunately, Bari Tessler is a highly-regarded financial therapist. And, she’s developed a three-step framework to help clients transform their relationship with money.
Things You’ll Learn
- What bookkeeping taught her about the emotional side of money
- The importance of understanding your body to progress your relationship with money
- The three phases of deep money work: Money Healing, Money Practices, and Money Maps
- How to better approach your finances using a “Money Date”
- The power of renaming your cash-flow categories in alignment with values
- The story of how values-based cash flow changed her client’s life
- What she learned from almost hyperventilating at the car dealership
- The 3 levels of “Money Maps” that she uses instead of traditional budgeting
About Bari Tessler
Bari Tessler, M.A. is a Financial Therapist and Founder of The Art of Money, a year-long money school, and a Mentor program for therapists, coaches and financial professionals.
Bari trained as a Somatic Therapist and received her Masters’s degree from Naropa University in 1998. She then ran a bookkeeping business for therapists and artists. In 2001, she merged all her training and created a somatic-based Financial Therapy methodology that she has been teaching for 20+ years.
Bari is the Author of The Art of Money: A Life-Changing Guide to Financial Happiness and The Art of Money Workbook.
Her work has been featured on Oprah.com, Inc.com, US News & World Report, Reuters Money, The Fiscal Times, USA Today, The Cut, Girlboss, Nerd Wallet, Real Simple, MindBodyGreen, and REDBOOK. She has also been featured on the cover of Experience Life and Mindful.
Bari loves to read, dance and enjoy dark chocolate. She lives in Boulder, CO with her husband, son, many cats + a big puppy.
Other Episodes You’ll Like On How To Apply Tools From Financial Therapy:
- Financial Therapy Skills 101 For Financial Advisors with Nathan Astle
- The Financial Therapy Skills & Techniques Every Financial Advisor Needs with Kristy Archuleta
- Tools for Discovering and Changing A Client’s Money Mindset with Rick Kahler
The Art of Money: A Life-Changing Guide To Financial Happiness by Bari Tessler
The Art of Money Workbook: A Three-Step Plan To Transform Your Relationship with Money by Bari Tessler
“27 Ways To Make a Money Date Your Own” by Bari Tessler
Money And The Meaning Of Life by Jacob Needleman
Man’s Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: An 8-week group program on building trust & connection, aligning money and life, and delivering frictionless advice.
- The Ultimate Discovery Meeting: A proven framework to seamlessly convert prospects into life-long clients in one meeting.
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): An online space to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you want more information on any of these, let me know here.