*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. You’ll also receive our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” newsletter where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on specific ways to apply the human side of advice in your practice, process, and conversations.
*The featured partner for this episode is a must-have tool for helping clients follow-through and implement advice. After all, the best advice is useless in the absence of execution. Rather than stressing about follow-up calls and emails, Knudge provides a built-in system designed to improve follow-through. Here’s the best part…you can try it for free with 12 clients.
The year is 2005.
Josh Gilliam was at the point in his financial advisory career that most advisors dream of…
The point when you realize you’re making more money than you’ve ever made before.
And you’re actually going to make it in this business.
Only, there was one problem.
While 99% of advisors feel joy and relief at this point, Josh felt something completely different.
He felt unfulfilled.
He wondered how he was going to go the rest of his career simply helping people make more money for the sake of building wealth.
And that’s when his eyes were opened to the human side of advice.
He realized that he wasn’t just helping people make more money. He could help them align their money to fund the things that are most important in their lives.
Thus, he set out to research, read, digest, and learn everything he could about behavioral finance, psychology, and communication. He was seeking to master the human side of advice.
But, what he found was exactly what most advisors find along this journey:
- There is no textbook on ways to get a stranger to open up about personal issues
- Asking someone about their values and purpose in life can be awkward
- The questions he asked his clients didn’t land the way he envisioned
- He had some great conversations but couldn’t make it happen in every meeting
So, he began what he called his “trial-and-error” approach.
He would test and experiment with different ideas, tactics and questions.
And, then, he’d learn and iterate.
18 years later, he admits it’s still a work in progress.
But, he took what he learned and created the [Fi] Life Framework.
A framework that he uses to facilitate better conversations and connections with clients and prospects.
A process he can use to create a consistently remarkable human experience throughout his practice.
Things You’ll Learn
- How he decides what information to have clients fill out at the beginning of the relationship
- The [Fi] Self Profile: A tool for learning more about a client’s financial beliefs and history
- How helping a client learn about their past created a relationship-altering conversation
- The [Fi] Life Big Decision App: A tool to guide clients towards making better decisions
- Why the human side of advice will provide a natural boost to client testimonials
- Why it’s important to have clients document their decision-making process
About Josh Gilliam
Josh Gilliam is the founder, Chief Visionary officer, and financial planner at Gilliam Mease Advisors.
He’s also the creator of the [Fi] Life Framework. After spending years and years refining and honing different ways to implement the human side of advice in a more consistent way, Josh finally boiled it down to this framework that he uses with all of his clients and prospects to deliver a more consistent human experience.
Other Episodes You’ll Like On Facilitating Great Conversations:
- A 5-Step Planning Process For Syncing Financial And Emotional Well-Being with Amy Mullen
- The Future of Financial Planning is Life Planning with George Kinder
- Designing A Discovery Process That Maximizes Return on Life with Mitch Anthony
Identifying The Forces Nuding The Future of Advice Towards The Human Side (Wired Planning – Brendan Frazier)
Top 3 Questions For Each Step Of The Client Journey (Wired Planning – Brendan Frazier)
Top 3 Questions For Each Step Of The Client Journey (Advisor Perspectives – Brendan Frazier)
Halftime: Moving From Success To Significance by Bob Buford
Declaration of Financial Independence: Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Holiness by Josh Gilliam
The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight In The Age of Information Overload by Daniel Levitin
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: An 8-week group program on building trust & connection, aligning money and life, and delivering frictionless advice.
- The Ultimate Discovery Meeting: A proven framework to seamlessly convert prospects into life-long clients in one meeting.
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): An online space to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you want more information on any of these, let me know here.