*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. In addition to podcast releases, you’ll get our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on applying behavioral finance and mastering the human side of money.
*The featured partner for this episode is a must-have tool for helping clients follow-through and implement advice. After all, the best advice is useless in the absence of execution. Rather than stressing about follow-up calls and emails, Knudge provides a built-in system designed to improve follow-through. Here’s the best part…you can try it for free with 12 clients.
In the field of healthcare, client outcomes and satisfaction are directly correlated to the doctor’s “bedside manner.”
The same holds true for client outcomes and satisfaction in financial planning and advice.
According to research, the #1 thing prospects look for in a financial advisor is “Interpersonal Skills.”
Furthermore, more research confirms what we all know about trust.
High levels of trust lead to:
- More satisfaction
- More referrals
- More likely to consolidate assets
But knowing these things are true and knowing what to do about it are two different things.
What are the key interpersonal skills to develop? And how do you go about honing those skills?
Fortunately, Dr. Jim Grubman built and designed programs where he helped financial advisors do just that.
Things You’ll Learn
- Why courage is a conversational superpower
- The importance of asking questions you DON’T know the answer to
- The two essential communication skills every advisor needs
- Learning to detect when your clients are sending emotional “signals” to go deeper
- The biggest communication mistake that almost every advisor makes
- The different “levels” of conversation
- Examples of common jargon we need to eliminate
- An exercise he teaches to break the tendency to ramble
- The power of affirming client questions
- How to insulate your value from the commoditization of financial planning
- “Immigrants and Natives” – how your origin to wealth shapes everything you do with money
About Dr. Jim Grubman
Jim Grubman is an internationally recognized consultant to families of wealth, family enterprises, and the advisors who serve them. His work with clients at many levels of affluence – from the “millionaire next door” to The Forbes 400 – has earned him a global reputation for thought leadership within the field.
Whether facilitating a family meeting or training advisors in the complexities of wealth, he draws on his deep knowledge of psychology, family dynamics, and family business, with specialty interests in trusts and estates law and family governance.
His goal: to help integrate life and wealth for the benefit of the family and society.
Other Episodes You’ll Like On Honing Communication Skills:
- Developing Emotional Intelligence (EQ) To Transform Relationships With Clients And Prospects with Beverly Flaxington
- The Trust Formula: How To Consistently Build Trust With Clients And Prospects with Mary Schmid
- Changing Behavior By Focusing On Communication And Connection with Joy Lere
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: An 8-week group program on building trust & connection, aligning money and life, and delivering frictionless advice.
- The Ultimate Discovery Meeting: A proven framework to seamlessly convert prospects into life-long clients in one meeting.
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): An online space to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you want more information on any of these, let me know here.