*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. In addition to podcast releases, you’ll get our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on applying behavioral finance and mastering the human side of money.
As Susan Bradley says, “When life changes, money changes. And when money changes, life changes.”
Changes and transitions in life aren’t just inevitable. They’re constant.
For proof, here’s a list of common changes/transitions.
- Death of friends or family
- Changing jobs
- Losing a job
- Having a baby
- Receiving an inheritance
- Selling a business
You would be in the minority if you haven’t experienced any of these in the last three years.
And those are just the most common examples!
More importantly, change isn’t just constant. It’s pivotal.
And, these crucial moments of change and transition will shape the future of both your life and your finances.
However, for financial advisors to successfully navigate clients through the changes and transitions of life requires more than sound technical knowledge and advice.
It requires understanding the dynamics of change. It requires developing a sense of what it’s like psychologically for clients to undergo change and how that impacts their thoughts and decisions. And it requires a skill set and resources for managing change.
Mastering this undoubtedly sets up your clients to thrive in the midst of change, but you also have to consider the massive business implications:
- These life changes often serve as a trigger for people to reach out to a financial advisor for advice. (I don’t even need to give an example here, because I know every single person knows exactly what I’m referring to.) Pairing technical knowledge with a skill set to help prospective clients successfully navigate the transition instantly boosts your business development efforts.
- With current clients, maybe you have a client that’s been in “maintenance mode” for 3 years who suddenly loses her job, decides to retire, or receives an inheritance. And it’s in these moments where you’re handed a prime opportunity to deliver ongoing value and forever justify your fee.
Susan Bradley coaches advisors around the world on how to successfully navigate change and joined the show to help us understand the dynamics of change, the psychology of change, and the skill set/tools advisors need to know to help successfully guide their clients through the constant changes and transitions of life.
Things You’ll Learn
- Why a technical skill set/advice is insufficient to navigate change and transition
- Why decision-making is the most crucial element of navigating transitions
- The skill set Susan teaches advisors to manage change
- How to effectively add “Transition Planning” into your current process
- The “Decision-Free Zone”: A process to help prioritize tasks without getting overwhelmed
- How to be a “thinking partner” to help clients develop the clarity they lack during transitions
- An example demonstrating how “sound” technical advice can morph into “bad” advice without deep listening
About Susan Bradley
Susan Bradley is the founder of the Sudden Money® Institute, where she coaches and trains advisors around the world on how to successfully navigate clients through change and transition through the CeFT® designation (Certified Financial Transitionist).
She started Sudden Money® after a long career in financial planning. She is the author of Sudden Money: Managing A Financial Windfall and Shaping Change: How To Respond When Life Disrupts Your Retirement Plan.
Other Episodes You’ll Like On Navigating Change
- Episode 39: A Masterclass In Excelling At The Human Side Of Advice w/ Carl Richards
- Episode 36: Integrating A Life-Planning Approach In Your Practice w/ Scott Frank
- Episodes 11 & 12: An Evidence-Based Approach To Winning Prospects And Influencing Clients w/ Evan Beach
- Susan Bradley LinkedIn
- Sudden Money® Institute
- Financial Transitionist Institute
- Sudden Money: Managing A Financial Windfall by Susan Bradley
- Shaping Change: How To Respond When Life Disrupts Your Retirement Plan by Susan Bradley and Ross Marino
- Susan Bradley Ted Talk
- Purposeful Planning Institute
- Moira Somers (And Moira Somer’s episode on The Human Side of Money)
- Dr. Norman Rosenthal
- Poetry Rx: How 50 Inspiring Poems Can Heal And Bring Joy To Your Life by Norman E. Rosenthal