*If you want to be notified when the next episode packed full of practical tips and strategies to master the human side of money will be released, you can:
- Subscribe to the Show
- Join the community of like-minded advisors and planners across the world being notified via email. In addition to podcast releases, you’ll get our monthly “Wisdom Round Up” where we deliver to you the best content from around the industry on applying behavioral finance and mastering the human side of money.
Financial planning without any regard for the person’s dreams, values, and life they want to live is nothing more than numbers on paper.
A person’s dreams, values, and life they want to live without any regard for money is nothing more than a fantasy.
That’s why the future of financial planning is life planning.
And, as a financial advisor or planner, you are given the opportunity to connect a client’s finances with the life they want to live. You are the one person in your client’s lives with the ability to help them connect their money to meaning.
Life planning is simply connecting the client’s dreams and values with the strategies of financial planning that create the life of freedom that person has always envisioned.
Most financial advisors have accumulated mounds of technical knowledge that make up the financial strategies that will facilitate a life of freedom. Where most fall short is in uncovering and exploring exactly what a life of freedom looks like for the person sitting across the table.
Fortunately, George Kinder has spent nearly 20 years training almost 4,000 professionals across 30 countries the core principles and skills of life planning. And, he joined us to share what he’s learned and what advisors need to know for a future where financial planning is life planning.
Things You’ll Learn
- The #1 skill of all life planners that gets clients to say “This is the best conversation I’ve ever had around money.”
- How and why they teach advisors to become great listeners
- Why you should never use the phrase “Tell me more…”
- The one skill he thinks every advisor should know and learn based on his decades spent with clients and advisors
- How many times you can interrupt someone in a first meeting before you lose them
- The two pieces of advice George gives to anyone who wants to become a better listener
- Why Zoom has actually helped to improve listening skills
- The two things they train advisors to listen for to enhance the conversation
- The EVOKE Method: 5 stages of the life planning process
- The three questions to ask in a first meeting that form the foundation of life planning
- A concept called “lighting the torch” that ignites behavior change by creating energy and motivation for the life they want to live
- George’s (passionate) thoughts on the belief that life planning isn’t scalable
About George Kinder
George Kinder is the father and creator of the life planning movement. After spending 30 years as a practicing financial planner and tax advisor, he founded the Kinder Institute of Life Planning in 2003. Since then, he has helped train almost 4,000 professionals in over 30 countries in the process and skills of life planning.
His three books, The Seven Stages of Money Maturity, Lighting The Torch, and Life Planning For You are considered to be the seminal works in the ever-growing field of life planning.
Other Episodes You Might Like Featuring Life Planners
- Episode 5: Managing Humans Instead of Assets to Deliver Better Outcomes with Andy Hart
- Episode 17: Delivering Human-First Financial Planning with a Chief Behavioral Officer with Adrian Murphy
- Episode 36: Integrating a Life Planning Approach In Your Practice with Scott Frank
- George Kinder
- The Kinder Institute of Life Planning
- The Seven Stages of Money Maturity
- Lighting The Torch
- Life Planning For You
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways I can help you master the human side of advice:
- HSOA Masterclass: Master the human side of advice alongside a group of other advisors passionate about enhancing client outcomes and changing the trajectory of their business
- HSOA Sessions: 2-hour coaching blocks where we work 1:1 to ensure your practice is designed to create clients that pay more, refer more, follow-through and consolidate assets
- HSOA Community (COMING SOON!): A place to meet, collaborate, discuss, brainstorm, learn and grow with other advisors passionate about the human side of advice
If you’re interested, let me know here.